Check out the links below...
Windermere and the surrounding area is arguably the most famous and popular area in the whole of the Lake District. There are a range of activities, attractions, places of interest and things to do around the lake, and on it!
Windermere is the largest natural lake in both the Lake District and in England. It’s surrounded by mountain peaks and villages, including Bowness-on-Windermere which is Lakeland’s most popular holiday resort.
*Boat Hire- During the summer boats can be hired from Waterhead, Low Wood, Bowness, Brockhole - The Lake District Visitor Centre and Fell Foot Park. These vary from rowing boats to sailing boats or self-drive motor boats.
*Cruises- Take to the water to truly experience Windermere. The many different options and tickets allow you to hop off, walk back or just sit back and watch the mountains, woodlands and islands unfold before you.
* Canoes/Kayaks/Stand-Up-Paddleboards- can be hired during the summer months
* Fishing- Windermere has arctic charr, brown trout, pike, perch, roach and eels, salmon and sea trout.
* Car ferry- links Ferry Nab on the eastern shore of Windermere with Ferry House, Far Sawrey on the west
Off water attractions
* Fell Foot Park- This Victorian park, restored to its former glory, offers substantial access to the lakeshore, where there are leisure facilities. Fine picnic areas and rowing boat hire make it an ideal day out for families.
* Lakes Aquarium- This award winning attraction has the UK's largest collection of freshwater fish.
* Lakeside and Haverthwaite Railway- Hard working steam locomotives travel three and half miles into the Leven Valley.
*World of Beatrix Potter- An indoor re-creation of the Lakeland countryside, complete with sights, sounds and even smells. All of Beatrix Potter's tales are brought to life in three dimensions
*Old Laundry Theatre- The only professional in-the-round theatre in Cumbria with an exciting and stimulating programme of performing arts.
* Royalty Cinema- Three screens offering the latest releases in comfortable surroundings.
*Guided walks led by local experts-book here
* Here you can find routes for some classic walks in the best loved areas of the Lake District along with detailed descriptions including distance, time, ascent and grade.